Undergraduate Programs

Junior Year

Recommended and Required Steps

Recommended Steps: Run your Academic Requirements Report and Apply for majors/minor

Check your Academic Requirements Report, and meet with your advisor to plan next year’s schedule.

Apply for major(s) and minor(s) through the appropriate academic department(s), if applicable.

Required Step (School of Engineering only): Submit Preliminary Plans of Study

While preliminary plans of study are required by some programs at the University of Connecticut, these do not need to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Students should check with their individual advisor and program to see if a preliminary plan of study is required. For instructions, please see Submitting your Preliminary Plan of Study.

Final Year

Step 1: Apply to Graduate (deadline by 4th week of final semester)

Students who are candidates for graduation must apply to graduate through the Student Administration System. Apply to graduate by the fourth week of your final semester for each degree you are completing (or the spring semester for summer graduates). You can apply to graduate once registration for your last semester opens up. The Degree Audit section of the Office of the Registrar will then determine whether all degree requirements will be satisfied by the end of your final semester.

For more information about using the system to apply for graduation, see Apply for Graduation.

Step 2: Check name and address

Please verify the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation of your name and the accuracy of the address where your diploma should be sent two months after conferral in the Student Administration System. For instructions, see Verify Diploma Name and Address on Graduation Status Page.

  • Your Degree Name will be printed on the diploma. Degree Name must share the same last name as your Primary Name. Changes to last name require official documentation submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
  • The mailing/billing address is where diplomas will be mailed unless a separate Diploma Address has been designated. Diplomas are mailed approximately two months after conferral, so the address should be appropriate for that timeframe.

Diplomas reprinted due to incorrect name or improper address will incur a cost for replacement. Please note there may be implications if the name on your diploma differs from the name in your record, such as an inability to verify your degree, or change in licensure or VISA status.

Step 3: Run your Academic Requirements Report

The Academic Requirements Report outlines all the requirements necessary to earn your degree (i.e. general education, major, minor and concentration) and tracks your progress in fulfilling those requirements. Unless noted on the report, areas that are not satisfied or missing will need to be addressed to clear you for graduation. Please see your advisor for assistance.

Step 4: Submit Plan of Study (deadline by 4th week of final semester)

*Nursing and Pharmacy students may not be required to submit a final plan of study for their major but are still required to submit hardcopy plans of study for any minors.

Majors: Major plans of study are submitted electronically through the Student Administration System. Comments should include anything that needs explanation or additional approval that does not show as satisfied on your Academic Requirements Report. Progress can be tracked on the Plan of Study approval page in the Student Administration System and you will receive an email once the department has approved the plan and forwarded it to Degree Audit for final review. If you do not receive this email in your final semester, you should contact your advisor(s) for additional information. For more information, see Submit Your Final Plan of Study.

Minors: Submission of minor plans of study may be electronic or in hardcopy (forms located either at the department office or on their website). They are approved by the designated minor advisor and submitted to the Degree Audit office. The process to submit a minor plan of study electronically is the same as for a major except that a student will be prompted with multiple comment boxes – one for each program they are completing. The title of the program is listed in the header of each comment box.

Minors must be declared prior to submitting a final plan of study. If your minor is not being completed, it must be officially dropped by notifying the Office of the Registrar or graduation will be impacted.

Double Majors and Dual Degrees: Plans of study for students with dual degrees and double majors can be submitted electronically. After clicking the Submit Final Plan of Study button, students will be prompted with multiple comment boxes for each corresponding program. The title of the program is listed in the header of the comment box.

Honors Scholars: In addition to the final plans of study for each program, Honors Scholar graduation candidates have additional requirements, paperwork, and deadlines that must be met. For more information, visit the Honors Program website or call 860-486-4223.

Step 5: Check email to confirm progress of steps to graduation

You should receive multiple emails during and after your final semester:

  • You should receive email(s) confirming that your plan(s) of study has/have been approved by the department.
  • If you have applied for graduation and all plans of study have been approved, you will receive an email during your final semester after an official audit has been completed.
  • Within one month of the conferral date, you will receive an email indicating that your degree has been awarded.
  • An additional email will be sent to notify you once diplomas are mailed out.

Close-out (3-4 weeks after conferral)

Close out and final deadline for incomplete/transfer grades

Three to four weeks after conferral, the graduating class will be closed out; all records must be complete by this date to qualify for graduation.

Incomplete Grades: Candidates for graduation have until the close-out date to have all grades input on their record to be considered for graduation. This includes incomplete and missing grades such as I, N, X and blank grades.

Transfer credits: Transfer credits must be posted on a student’s record and have the appropriate approvals by the close out date to still qualify for graduation. Once the grades are finalized at the other institution, a student should request an official transcript be sent to the UConn Admissions Office. Questions on transferring in coursework can be referred to the UConn Admissions Office or to the student’s Advising Office.

Graduation FAQs

Can I change my graduation term?

Students who have applied for graduation who later determine that they will not complete their requirements by the graduation deadlines for that semester (for example, students who anticipate failing a required course) may change their graduation term by contacting the Degree Audit section of the Office of the Registrar. Once a graduation term has been changed, there is no need to re-apply for graduation. There is also no need to resubmit the final plan of study unless changes are made that require approval from the department. In these cases, Degree Audit recommends that students contact their advisors.

What about my major GPA?

Major GPA is not a statistic maintained by the University of Connecticut but rather a requirement that needs to be met in order to earn a degree. Because Major GPA is defined by each program and institution differently, it is recommended to clarify with the institution asking for it and then manually calculate.