What’s my graduation date?
The University of Connecticut confers degrees three times a year, based on the term during which students complete their graduation requirements:
|Summer session (including May term)||August|
Changing Graduation Term
Undergraduate and PharmD Programs
Students who have applied for graduation who later determine that they will not complete their requirements by the graduation deadlines for that semester (for example, students who anticipate failing a required course) may change their graduation term by contacting the Degree Audit section of the Office of the Registrar. Once a graduation term has been changed, there is no need to re-apply for graduation. There is also no need to resubmit the final plan of study unless changes are made that require approval from the department. In these cases, Degree Audit recommends that students contact their advisors.
Students who have applied for graduation who later determine that they will not complete their requirements by the graduation deadlines due to incomplete grades, a change in their defense date for a thesis or dissertation, or a change in the final exam date can contact their degree auditor through the Degree Audit section in the Office of the Registrar to discuss future deadlines and to determine if enrollment is required for the next semester.
Commencement is a celebration of accomplishments and occurs once per year in May. In addition to May graduates, the prior year’s December graduates and the following semester’s August graduates may walk in the May Commencement. For additional information on student preparation for Commencement, see the official Commencement website. The Commencement Office can also be contacted at (860) 486-6800.
When will I get my diploma?
Degrees are posted 1 to 6 weeks after your actual conferral date. Notification is sent via email once your record has been updated.
Diplomas are mailed approximately 8 to 10 weeks after your graduation date. For example, if you graduate in May, you can expect to receive your diploma between the end of June and middle of July. International shipping can take up to a month or longer.
Diplomas are produced by an off-campus commercial printer and mailed via first class mail to the address designated as your mailing/billing address unless a diploma mailing address has been declared. There is no tracking information for first class standard mail. Diplomas will be withheld for those with an outstanding balance of $50 or more with the University.
What will my diploma look like?
University of Connecticut diplomas include the following:
- the University of Connecticut school seal;
- the school or college from which you are graduating;
- the name you have chosen to appear on your diploma when you apply for graduation;
- honors you have earned; and
- the signatures of the President of the University, the Dean(s) of your college(s), and the President of the Board of Trustees.
The dimensions of all UConn diplomas are 11 x 8.5 except for doctoral degrees, which are 12 x 10.
Minors and/or concentrations are not included on the diploma.
If you choose to attend the graduation ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover at that time. If you do not attend the ceremony, you can order a diploma cover through the Commencement Office.
Diploma Name and Address
Please verify the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation of your name and the accuracy of the address where your diploma should be sent two months after conferral in the Student Administration System. For instructions, see Verify Diploma Name and Address on Graduation Status Page.
- Your Degree Name will be printed on the diploma. Degree Name must share the same last name as your Primary Name. Changes to last name require official documentation submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
- The mailing/billing address is where diplomas will be mailed unless a separate Diploma Address has been designated. Diplomas are mailed approximately two months after conferral, so the address should be appropriate for that timeframe.
Diplomas reprinted due to incorrect name or improper address will incur a cost for replacement. Please note there may be implications if the name on your diploma differs from the name in your record, such as an inability to verify your degree, or change in licensure or VISA status.
A replacement diploma may be requested from the Office of the Registrar when the original diploma has been lost or damaged or when an additional copy is needed. Degree Audit must be notified within 1 year if a diploma was damaged or lost in shipping to avoid any additional costs for replacement. The diploma will be reissued in the format currently used but will bear the signatures of the University officers in place when the student graduated.
- Standard replacement diploma requests are processed, printed, and mailed within two to three weeks from the date the request is received in good order. They are mailed standard USPS. The cost is $40.
- Expedited replacement diploma requests are processed, printed, and mailed within one week from the date the request is received in good order. They are mailed via UPS expedited shipping. The cost for an expedited diploma is $80 for domestic addresses and $140 for international addresses.
Students will be notified via email when the diploma has been mailed.
Additionally, if a diploma requires certification from the University of Connecticut or from the State of Connecticut, please contact the Degree Audit Office prior to submitting the replacement diploma request for additional information and timeframes.
Please use the link below to request a replacement diploma. If you have questions about diplomas, contact the Degree Audit Office at (860) 486-6214.