Noncredit Records Retention Policies

Requests for records for noncredit programs
(applicable to records from 1993 to present)

Because state law does not set records retention guidelines for noncredit programs, the University may or may not have records for noncredit programs.

There are two types of noncredit programs — centrally-administered and independent noncredit programs. If you are unsure whether your program was centrally administered – that is to say, operated by Continuing Education – please contact the Registrar’s office.

Centrally administered noncredit programs
(Previously operated by Continuing Education)

The University does maintain most records for centrally-administered noncredit programs from 1993 to the present. Centrally-administered programs are those operated by Continuing Education, which has also been known by the following names:

  • Extended and Continuing Studies
  • College of Continuing Studies
  • Division of Continuing Studies
  • Center for Continuing Studies
  • Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning

The University does not have records for centrally-administered noncredit programs through Continuing Education prior to 1993.

Independent noncredit programs

To locate records that were not managed by Continuing Education, please contact the department that administered the program. The Registrar’s Office does not have any records for independent noncredit programs.


The University does not retain copies of certificates for noncredit programs; as such, it is the student’s responsibility to retain any certificates earned.

If the Registrar’s office is able to locate records for a noncredit program, it can supply a letter certifying attendance. Please note, however, that the Registrar can only certify attendance and not successful completion of a program.