Steps to a Successful Graduation: Graduate Programs

Apply to graduate

Graduation is not automatic; students who are candidates for graduation must apply to graduate through the Student Administration System, after which the Degree Audit section of the Office of the Registrar will determine whether all degree requirements will have been satisfied by the end of the semester.

Apply to graduate by the fourth week of your final semester for each degree you are completing (or the spring semester for summer graduates). You are able to apply once registration for your last semester opens up. Applying by the fourth week ensures you will be included in Commencement communications. For more information about using the system to apply for graduation, see Apply for Graduation on the Student Administration System Help website.

What’s my graduation date?

The University of Connecticut confers degrees three times a year, based on the term during which students complete their graduation requirements:

Graduation Term Conferral
Spring semester May
Summer session (including May term) August
Fall semester December
Winter session May

What’s my completion date?

The completion date signifies the point at which a student has been separated from active status at the University. For Spring and Fall semester graduates, the University conferral date will also represent the completion date, provided all degree requirements are completed by necessary deadlines. Graduates completing during the summer will have a completion date determined by the submission of their final approved paperwork and/or completion of their enrollment. As students are no longer eligible to work as graduate assistants after their completion date, students should coordinate the end date of any summer employment with the submission of their final paperwork.

For students completing prior to the end of the Fall or Spring semester an alternate completion date can be requested upon submission of all final paperwork and completion of your academic engagement. An Alternate Completion Date Request form must be submitted to the Graduate School for approval for International students or those with Graduate Assistantships.

Final paperwork approved and submitted past the posted deadline, but prior to 10th day of the Fall or Spring semester, requires no additional enrollment by a student. Students who choose to self-enroll but submit final documents for graduation prior to the 10th day are still responsible for any tuition/fees incurred.  Submission after the 10th day of Fall or Spring semester will require enrollment for that semester.

Confirm your name and contact information


Please review the spelling, capitalization and punctuation of your name in the Student Administration System to ensure it appears correctly. The Primary Name is what prints on the diploma unless a Degree Name has been designated. Degree Name must share the same last name as the Primary. Changes to last name will require official documentation submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Diplomas reprinted due to incorrect name will incur a cost for replacement. For more information about changing your name in the system, see Modify Your Names on the Student Administration System Help website.


The mailing/billing address is where diplomas will be mailed unless a separate Diploma Address has been designated. Diplomas are mailed approximately two months after conferral, so the address should be appropriate for that timeframe. Diplomas reprinted due to improper address will incur a cost for replacement. For instructions on changing your address in the system, see Modify Your Addresses on the Student Administration System Help website.

Submit your Approved Paperwork

You should also review your plan of study to ensure that all courses listed on your plan of study accurately correspond to your transcript. If they do not, you will be required to submit a Request for Changes in Plan of Study form to the Office of the Registrar. Please check with your program if you have questions concerning your paperwork.  Not all of the following forms are required by all programs.

See Post-Baccalaureate and Certificate Programs for more information.

See Master’s Degree Programs for more information about degree requirements and graduation information. See the thesis links below for information about the master’s thesis.

See Master’s Degree Programs for more information about degree requirements and graduation information.

See Doctoral Degree Programs for more information about degree requirements and graduation information. See the dissertation links below for information about the master’s thesis.

Prepare, Announce, Defend and Submit your Thesis/Dissertation

Master’s Thesis

Doctoral Dissertation

Changing graduation term

Students who have applied for graduation who later determine that they will not complete their requirements by the above deadlines (for example, students who anticipate failing a required course) may change their graduation term by contacting the Degree Audit section of the Office of the Registrar. Once a graduation term has been changed, there is no need to re-apply for graduation. There is also no need to resubmit the final plan of study unless changes are made that require approval from the department. In these cases, Degree Audit recommends that students contact their advisors.

Check your UConn email account

Once you have applied for graduation and submitted all your approved plans of study, you will receive an email during your final semester after an official audit has been completed. This is in addition to the email confirming that your plan(s) of study has/have been approved by the department. You will also receive an email indicating that your degree has been awarded within one month of the conferral date. In addition, emails are sent to notify you when diplomas are mailed out.



Commencement is a celebration of accomplishments and occurs once per year in May. In addition to May graduates, the prior year’s August and December graduates may walk in the May Commencement. For additional information on student preparation for Commencement, see the official Commencement website. The Commencement Office can also be contacted at (860) 486-6800.

1. Apply to Graduate

To participate in the ceremony you must apply to graduate and submit your final plan(s) of study. For more information on how to apply to graduate, see the Graduation FAQ page on the UConn Senior website.

2. Buy your Regalia

Caps and gowns may be purchased at the UConn Bookstore after Spring Break. You are required to have a cap and gown to participate in the ceremony. Graduation announcements and invitations may be purchased from Balfour and are not distributed by the University.

3. Tickets

Tickets are available at the UConn Bookstore after you purchase your cap and gown. The number of tickets per graduate varies based on the ceremony. For additional information on tickets, see the Commencement FAQ.

Commencement Weekend

Schedule: The timing of each college’s ceremony can be found on the Commencement Website. For best seating, students should arrive at least one hour prior to the ceremony. Some colleges also have special events in addition to the Commencement ceremony.

Parking: Visitors will be directed to the campus parking garages during Commencement Weekend. Garage parking will be free of charge during the events.

Degree Posting and Diplomas

Degrees are posted manually to your record and, consequently, your transcript may be updated 1 to 6 weeks after your actual conferral date. Notification is sent via email once your record has been updated.

Undergraduate diplomas are mailed approximately six to eight weeks after your graduation date. For example, if you graduate in May, you can expect to receive your diploma between the end of June and middle of July. Graduate diplomas are mailed approximately 10 to 12 weeks after your graduation date.

Diplomas are produced by an off-campus commercial printer and mailed via first class mail to the address designated as your mailing/billing address unless a diploma mailing address has been declared. There is no tracking information for first class standard mail. International shipping can take up to a month or longer. Diplomas will be withheld for those with an outstanding balance of $50 or more with the University.

University of Connecticut diplomas include the following:

  • the University of Connecticut school seal;
  • the school or college from which you are graduating;
  • the name you have chosen to appear on your diploma when you apply for graduation;
  • honors you have earned; and
  • the signatures of the President of the University, the Dean(s) of your college(s), and the President of the Board of Trustees.

Minors and/or concentrations are not included on the diploma.

If you choose to attend the graduation ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover at that time. If you do not attend the ceremony, you can order a diploma cover through the Commencement Office.

Diploma Name and Address

The default name to be printed on a diploma is the Primary Name on your Academic records. Students are allowed to edit first and middle names through the Diploma Name option in the Student Administration System, however any changes to last name will require an official name change request and appropriate documentation to facilitate the change. It is the student’s responsibility to review their name and make updates in a timely manner. Any diploma printed with an incorrect name will be subject to the standard replacement fee and timeframe. This includes spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and spacing. Please note there may have implications of having your name on your diploma differ from the name on your record, such as an inability to verify your degree or change in licensure or VISA status.

Replacement Diplomas

A replacement diploma may be requested from the Office of the Registrar when the original diploma has been lost or damaged or when an additional copy is needed. Degree Audit must be notified within 1 year if a diploma was damaged or lost in shipping to avoid any additional costs for replacement. The diploma will be reissued in the format currently used but will bear the signatures of the University officers in place when the student graduated. Standard replacement diploma requests are processed, printed and mailed within two to three weeks from the date the request is received in good order. The cost is $30. Expedited replacement diplomas requests are processed, printed and mailed within one week from the date the request is received in good order. The cost for an expedited diploma is $60. Students will be notified via email when the diploma has been mailed.

Additionally if a diploma requires certification from the University of Connecticut or from the State of Connecticut, please contact the Degree Audit Office prior to submitting the replacement diploma request for additional information and timeframes.

Please use the link below to request a replacement diploma. If you have questions about diplomas, contact the Degree Audit Office at (860) 486-6214.

Replacement Diploma Order Form

Additional Information

More information about graduation is available through the Undergraduate Catalog. If you require assistance, contact your advisor or Undergraduate Advising office, or contact the Degree Audit office. They are located in the Office of the Registrar in the Wilbur Cross Building and are available in the office and by phone at 860-486-6214 Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.