Accessing Grades

Grades are not mailed. Students are able to access their final grades by logging to the Student Administration System and link to Student Center Help to navigate to your self service information. Click a task to launch the associated help page. Students may log on with their NetIDs and passwords and view grades for courses once they’ve been posted.

For detailed information about grades and grading policies, see the “Grades” section of the Academic Regulations page on the Undergraduate Catalog site.

Grade Point Formula

Grade points for courses graded “A”-“F” are the product of the course credits and the points per credit for the grade earned. For example, given a “B-” for a 3-credit course, points earned for the course are 8.1 (2.7 x 3). For any period, the total grade points for the courses graded “A”-“F” divided by the total credits give the grade point average. The term GPA includes all courses graded “A”-“F” in a semester or summer session. The cumulative GPA averages all courses graded “A”-“F”. If a student repeats a course that may not be repeated for credit, the Registrar records the grades for both attempts. If the repeat occurred prior to Summer Session 2002, both attempts are included in the GPA calculations. If the repeat occurred after Spring 2002, only the second attempt is included in the GPA calculations although both grades appear on the transcript. The student should note that when a lower grade is earned on the second attempt, that lower grade is the one that is used in the calculations.Students withdrawing from a full-year course at the close of the first semester will, if they have passed the first part of the course, receive credit for the work of the first semester, unless the course description states otherwise.

Incorrect Grade

The Office of the Registrar can confirm for you the grade that the instructor recorded. If you believe the grade is incorrect, contact the instructor.

Non-degree Credits

You should see the Dean of the school in which you are enrolled who will make a decision regarding which courses will be accepted. The Registrar’s Office will then be notified in writing specifying which courses have been allowed.

Parents and Students’ Grades

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) set forth the standards for privacy and access to student education records. Under FERPA, access and rights in accordance with post-secondary education records are exercised by the student. Unless information from a student’s education record falls under a specified exception, the information cannot be released to third parties (including parents) without a signed and dated consent from the student. FERPA allows – but does not require – schools to disclose student information to the student’s parents if the student is a dependent child for tax purposes. The decision on whether to grant such parental access is a matter of individual policy for each University.In the absence of certain exceptional circumstances, it is the position of the University of Connecticut to provide access only to the respective student and any specific party that has obtained the consent of the student. The University regards this position as appropriate and consistent within the relationship that exists between the student and the University.Students must follow a specific procedure before the University will release their grades to parents. First, students must complete and sign the Student FERPA Release Form. Parents must send the signed form, along with a request for grades, to the Registrar. As the University does not maintain copies of the Student Release on file, a separate Student Release must accompany each request. If parents anticipate that they will request grades on more than one occasion, they are encouraged to make several copies of the original; photocopied duplicates will be accepted.

Pass/Fail Option

The University Senate, the schools, the colleges and some programs have restricted the credits placed on Pass/Fail in various ways. Thus students planning to place a course on Pass/Fail should consider the consequences carefully. The advantage to the student is that the grade for a course placed on Pass/Fail does not affect their grade point average. However, they should discuss with their advisor the immediate, the long-term, the direct, and the indirect effects.

A student who has earned at least 24 credits and is not on scholastic probation may elect a maximum of 12 credits to be distributed over not more than three courses, to be recorded as “P” for Pass or “F” for Fall on his or her permanent record. Students who are selecting a course for the Pass/Fail option must do so within the first two weeks of the semester. Students who are removing a course from the Pass/Fail option must do so within the first nine weeks of the semester. For courses taught outside of the fall and spring semesters, these deadlines will be adjusted in a pro-rated fashion by the Registrar.

During the semester, the student completes the course and is graded in the usual way by the instructor; and the instructor submits a letter grade. This letter grade is translated into a “P” (“D-” or above) or remains an “F”. In neither event will a course taken under the Pass/Fail option be included in the computation of the semester or cumulative grade point average, but a grade below “C” makes the student ineligible for the Dean’s List. The individual schools and colleges have the privilege of adopting the Pass/Fail option with or without supplementary restrictions. Students are referred to the detailed statements of the various schools in the Undergraduate Catalog for such restrictions.

Restrictions on Pass/Fail Courses

Courses placed on Pass/Fail may only be used as electives; they may not be used to satisfy the General Education Requirement, the major or related requirements, the skill requirements, the minor requirements, or any school or college course requirement. Pass/Fail credits may not be acceptable when a student changes majors or schools within the University. Pass/Fail credits may not be transferable to another institution.

Students working on a degree at another institution need written approval from their dean, or other official, at the other institution to place a course on Pass/Fail.
The Registrar does not place a student on the Dean’s List if the instructor’s grade for a Pass/Fail course is less than “C.” Note that at least 12 credits must contribute to the semester grade point average placing a student on the Dean’s List. As the Pass/Fail marks have no grade points, the instructor’s grade does not contribute to the grade point averages. Note also that at least 54 credits must contribute to the grade point average for students to graduate cum laude or higher.

Restriction by School or College

Listed below are the Pass/Fail supplementary restrictions imposed by each school and college.

  • In the School of Business, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for any of the departments of the School.
  • In the School of Education, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for courses offered in the School of Education which are required for certification as a teacher.
  • In the School of Engineering, no course taken on Pass/Fail may be counted for credit toward graduation.
  • In the School of Pharmacy, no specifically required courses (all courses for which no alternate choice is given in the curricular listings) can be taken on Pass/Fail.
  • In the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture students may only place one course on the Pass/Fail option.

Repeating a Course to Raise the Grade

Any student who is regularly registered for courses and who satisfies the requirements shall receive credit except that no student shall receive credit for the same course twice, unless it is specifically so stated as in a variable content course. Courses with the same number that cover the same course content cannot be counted more than once for credit. The parenthetical phrases (Formerly offered as…) and (Also offered as…) that follow a course title as a cross reference indicate that a student may not take both the course and the cross-referenced course. A student is regularly registered for a course only if he or she has conformed to all university or college regulations or requirements applying to registration for the course.

A student may repeat a course previously taken one time without seeking permission in order to earn a higher grade. The student may take the course a third time with the permission of the dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled and the instructor of the course. Under no circumstances may a student take a course more than three times. When a student repeats a course, credit shall be allowed only once. Furthermore, in the computation of the grade point average, the registered credit and grade points for the most recent taking of the course shall be included in the GPA calculation and the registered credit and grade for the prior taking of the course shall remain on the transcript, but shall be removed from the GPA calculation.The student should note that repeating a course that was previously passed can have negative consequences. For example, if a student fails a class previously passed, the student would lose credit for the first, passed, attempt and not earn credit for the second, failed, attempt. Repeating a previously passed course may also have an effect on financial aid. Students considering repeating previously passed courses should consult their advisors and Student Financial Aid Services staff.

When a student repeats a course after receiving a degree, the student’s transcript will indicate a grade, but no registered credit, for the repeated course. The grade and registered credit recorded for the course prior to receipt of the degree shall continue to be included in the GPA and credit calculations.

A student must have department head permission to repeat a course that is listed as a prerequisite or corequisite for any course that the student has passed. For example, a student who received a “D” in Chemistry 1127Q and subsequently passed Chemistry 1128Q may not retake Chemistry 1127Q without permission.

S and U Grades

The S/U grade option is determined by the faculty; it is not a student-driven option. This course designation is available only for courses that have been approved as such by the Senate Curricula and Courses Committee. Instructors assign a grade of “S” to represent satisfactory work or “U” to represent unsatisfactory work. These courses may or may not award credit, but in neither case will grade points be awarded. No course used to fulfill the General Education Requirements may be assigned an S/U grade.

Temporary Grades

Temporary grades signify that credit has not been earned in that course, and may subject the student to scholastic probation or dismissal. Temporary grades shall not prevent the calculation of either the semester or the cumulative grade point average. An instructor may assign a temporary grade for a course when student work is not completed within the semester.

Temporary Grade Conditions for Assigning a Temporary Grade
N (No basis for grade) A student has completed few or no assessments and no make-up schedule has been agreed upon with the instructor; the instructor has no basis for a grade.
I (Incomplete grade) A student has not completed all of the assessments but work completed is of passing quality and a make-up schedule has been agreed upon with the instructor.
X (Final assessment absence) A student did not submit a final assessment and might by means of a satisfactory performance on the assessment complete the course with a passing grade. If in the opinion of the instructor such a student would fail the course regardless of the result of the assessment, the student shall be given a grade of “F.”

The student must complete all outstanding work on a schedule determined by the instructor and by the end of the third week of the following semester. Exceptions to this deadline are made by the Dean of Students or designee with the consent of the instructor.

Once the student submits the outstanding work or completes the final assessment, the instructor must submit a change of grade within 10 working days.

If the student does not submit outstanding work by the agreed upon deadline and has not been granted an exception, the instructor will calculate the student’s grade based on work completed for the course.

Passing grades will replace temporary grades on the transcript. For students who do not complete the missing work and therefore fail the course, the temporary grade will be retained on the transcript and followed by “F.”